Wednesday, March 21, 2012
The Rain is Spain has Moved!
Well, that's not surprising because it's just a small change, but it's an important one.
I finally decided it was time to get this blog it's own domain name. I'd thought about it before, but I really didn't think it was all that important, and I really didn't want to spend money on it either, because this blog is really just for fun. But when I went to check my blog yesterday, I noticed that Blogger was redirecting it to a country-specific url, and I really didn't like it. It's bad enough having "blogspot.com" added to the address, but "blogspot.com.es" was just too much. Maybe it's silly, but I just don't like the look of it, or the idea behind it. It's an easy way for Blogger to censor blog content by country, and that just doesn't sit well with me. Not that I plan on posting anything objectionable, but still...
So, I decided to take the plunge, and splurge on my own domain. So now, The Rain in Spain lives at rainyspain.com, instead of at rainypamplona.blogspot.com. Much nicer, shorter, and hopefully easier to remember too.
I feel like a kid with a new toy! Does that make me a geek, or what?
It's all very exciting (at least to me), but the switch was harder than I thought it would be, even though I took the easiest route and bought it through Blogger, since it only costs $10 a year, and hosting is free. Not a bad deal. Besides, they assure you that the switch will be easy, that everything is configured automatically, and that the old address will automatically redirect to the new one. Kind of like hiring a moving company to pack up your stuff and take it over to your new house.
But you know how sometimes the movers break your stuff?
Well, that's how I felt as I spent the better part of this very appropriately rainy day trying to figure out why my blog wasn't redirecting, and at the new address all I was getting was a "Welcome to rainyspain.com" message. There was no message from Blogger either, nothing saying the blog was in transition, or that my new address was linked in any way to my blog ...
At least I wasn't alone. I found that lots of other bloggers had the same problem. What I couldn't find was how to fix it. But I did finally find a thread on some random forum that shed some light on the issue. It turned out that for some reason Google Apps for my domain had activated the "sites" feature, so Blogger kept saying that some other blog or site was using the address and wouldn't let me add it. As soon as I turned that feature off and manually readded the new address to Blogger, the problem was fixed.
But seriously, Blogger guys, you need to make this easier for non-tech people like me. If you say the process is automatic, it should be automatic. I followed your instructions exactly, and yet I've had to spend hours figuring out what the problem was, and the little information I did find wasn't very clear, and it was not on the Blogger help page, which to me is a major FAIL.
Sorry, moving makes me cranky....
* This is just some Technorati stuff: B7D88Q8UQWN9 Nothing interesting to see here, but you can check out some of my previous posts if you're bored.